ASHRAE is pleased to introduce its 2023-24 Society president, officers and directors.
Ginger Scoggins, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, will serve as the 2023-24 Society president. During her inaugural presidential address, Scoggins introduced the theme for the 2023-43 Society Year, “Challenge Accepted: Tackling the Climate Crisis.” The theme explores integrated solutions to address the effects of the climate crisis through meaningful building decarbonization strategies.
“We are living in a climate emergency,” said Scoggins. “Our desire to be more comfortable has brought us to a place where we need to make uncomfortable decisions. We can accept the challenge of our day regarding the impact of our buildings on the climate crises by equipping our members with the knowledge they need to design and renovate buildings to address the greenhouse gas emissions of our industry.”
Scoggins is president and owner of Engineered Designs, Inc., a consulting engineering firm in Cary, North Carolina.
Elected officers who will serve one-year terms are as follows:
- President-Elect: Dennis Knight, P.E., BEMP, Fellow ASHRAE, Principal, Whole Building Systems, LLC., Mount Pleasant, S.C.
- Treasurer: Bill McQuade, P.E., Fellow ASHRAE, LEED AP, Vice President, Regulatory Affairs, Baltimore Aircoil Company, Jessup, Md.
- Vice President: Billy Austin, P.E., BCxP, BEAP, BEMP, CHD, HBDP, HFDP, OPMP, Member ASHRAE, Principal, Shultz Engineering Group, Charlotte, N.C.
- Vice President: Ashish Rakheja, Member ASHRAE, Director/Chief Operating Officer, Aeon, Noida, India.
In Society Year 2021-22, ASHRAE membership voted to amend Section 5.1 of the ASHRAE Bylaws so that Society Vice Presidents will serve one, two-year term instead of two consecutive one-year terms. This approved amendment was implemented on the ballot for Society Year 2023-24 candidates. The following officers will serve one, two-year term:
- Vice President: Wade H. Conlan, P.E., BCxP, Member ASHRAE, CxA, LEED AP BD+C, Principal, Hanson Professional Services, Maitland, Fla.
- Vice President: Chandra Sekhar, CPEng., Ph.D., Fellow ASHRAE, Professor, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
ASHRAE introduced its newest Directors and Regional Chairs who will serve three-year terms from 2022–25:
- Region VII Director and Regional Chair: Scott Peach, P.E., FPE, Member ASHRAE, President, SP Engineering, Mobile, Ala.
- Region VIII Director and Regional Chair: Joseph Sanders, Member ASHRAE, Mechanical Sales Engineer, R.B. Akins Company, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Region IX Director and Regional Chair: Jonathan Smith, P.E., Member ASHRAE, CEM, LEED AP, Business Development Manager, Siemens, Lenexa, Kan.
- Region X Director and Regional Chair: Buzz Wright, P.E., Member ASHRAE, CEM, LEED AP, Mechanical Engineer, Kelly Wright and Associates PC, Tucson, Ariz.
- Region XIV Director and Regional Chair: Mahroo Eftekhari, C.Eng., CDPhil, Member ASHRAE, SFHEA, Professor of Building Services Engineering, Loughborough University, Loughborough, England.
ASHRAE also introduced its newest Directors-at-Large (DALs):
- Doug C. Cochrane, P.Eng., Member ASHRAE, LEED AP, Independent Consultant, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
- Corey B. Metzger, P.E., Member ASHRAE, Principal, Resource Consulting Engineers, LLC, Ames, Iowa.
- Heather Schopplein-Anderson, P.E., Member ASHRAE, CM-LEAN, DBIA, Engineer, UMEC, Santee, Calif.
Founded in 1894, ASHRAE is a global professional society committed to serve humanity by advancing the arts and sciences of heating ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, and their allied fields.
As an industry leader in research, standards writing, publishing, certification and continuing education, ASHRAE and its members are dedicated to promoting a healthy and sustainable built environment for all, through strategic partnerships with organizations in the HVAC&R community and across related industries.
The Society is showcasing integrated building solutions and sustainability in action through the opening of the ASHRAE Global Headquarters building in metro-Atlanta, Georgia.