R&D Efforts at Nidec Bring HVAC Industry Closer to Decarbonization Goals
ST. LOUIS – Jan. 15, 2024 – Robust R&D investments from Nidec Motor Corporation are paying off for the HVAC industry by delivering significant energy savings to both residential and commercial customers. The company’s newest high-efficiency products for OEM and aftermarket applications will be highlighted at the 2024 AHR Expo, January 22-24, Booth #S7719.
“We’re pleased to offer motor efficiency levels that often exceed even the newest regulations from the U.S. Department of Energy,” said Tim Schamel, President, U.S. MOTORS division of Nidec. “Our goal is to contribute to the decarbonization of buildings and homes, and we’re seeing many examples from customers that illustrate these results coming to fruition.”
Nidec motors, drives and controls are essential components in the operation and efficiency of air conditioning and heating equipment including furnaces, air handlers, heat pumps and condensers, as well as compressors in refrigeration. Nidec serves original equipment manufacturers and retrofitters; the company also provides aftermarket replacement motors. Nidec brands include U.S. MOTORS®, RESCUE®, Control Techniques, KB Electronics, and Embraco.
Nidec’s HVAC and appliance division has more than 50 research and development labs dedicated to bringing innovative solutions such as electronically commutated motors (ECMs), variable speed motors, integrated motors and controls, and synchronous motors.
At the Expo, Nidec will prominently feature its award-winning, super-premium SynRA™ synchronous motor, which offers efficiency levels up to IE4/IE5. Also, as the company increases its focus on IAQ (indoor air quality) initiatives in 2024, Nidec is showcasing its line of ECMs which allow for a significant increase in air filtration while also offering the benefit of up to 75 percent better energy efficiency when operating in continuous mode.
New this year for fan and circulation pump motors is the patented Neptune® Hybrid, which features two motors: a high-efficiency brushless permanent magnet (BPM) motor integrated with a control, and a standard PSC induction motor. Visitors to the Nidec booth can see a demo of the circulator pump motor and learn how it meets the DOE proposed efficiency regulations that are expected to take effect in 2025.
Nidec will feature the following U.S. MOTORS products at the AHR Expo:
- SelecTech® Motor – A durable, easy-to-integrate Electrically Commutated Motor (ECM) solution for high-efficient direct drive blower applications. The available nine discrete 24 volt tap settings are fully programmable on your assembly line for different airflow requirements. Rugged and simple to operate, the SelecTech motor is setting a new benchmark for reliable ECM technology. Includes 460V and dual shaft configurations.
- PERFECTSPEED® EC Motor – The solution to meet the increasing demand for electronically commutated motors (ECM) in modern HVAC systems. With a wide range of control options, voltages and mechanical configurations (Constant CFM, Constant Torque, or Constant Speed), the PerfectSpeed motor offers the high efficiency and precise airflow control needed in a broad array of air-moving applications, all backed by Nidec’s extensive ECM experience and close application support.
- RESCUE EZ13® – Universal ECM Replacement: RESCUE EZ13 is a high-efficiency ECM designed as a drop-in replacement for OEM constant torque ECM. The auto rotation sensing technology automatically determines motor direction. It’s wired to the OEM equipment using the equipment’s existing connections for ease of installation. No programming required.
- RESCUE EZ16® – 16-Pin Universal ECM Replacement: The RESCUE EZ16 motor is a patented electronically commutated constant torque aftermarket motor developed for the HVAC residential/light commercial market. Equipped with an EZ Interface (EZI) box used to tune the motor at installation, it provides a drop-in solution for systems using legacy 16-pin variable speed EC motors.
- RESCUE Select Pro™ – Preprogrammed ECM Replacement for Furnaces and Air Handlers: The RESCUE Select Pro is the aftermarket solution for OEM constant torque EC motors. With thousands of OEM performance profiles on a cloud-based web service app, the RESCUE Select Pro can be programmed directly through any smart phone or Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® enabled device.
- RESCUE EcoTech® – PSC to ECM replacement motor. Designed to be a drop-in replacement for permanent split capacitor (PSC) motors. RESCUE EcoTech motors are multi-horsepower, dual voltage and have reversible rotation. No wiring changes are required.
- RESCUE EcoTech® Outdoor 48 – Developed to stand up to harsh environments and temperatures found in outdoor condensing units. The RESCUE EcoTech Outdoor 48 EC Condenser Fan Motor is programmed to match the rotation and speed most preferred by major equipment manufacturers; and offers the flexibility for adjustment to speed and rotation.
- EcoTech® EC Motor – Upgrade to the performance and efficiency of an EC motor without redesigning systems! The ECOTECH® Line Voltage EC Motor provides benefits of ECM technology as a “drop-in” for most PSC-powered blowers. Five factory programmed torque or speed settings are controlled by line voltage speed taps allowing connection directly to existing controls and switches, simply and easily. The ECOTECH® EC motor is the simplest path to advanced technology in HVAC systems.
- SynRA™ Synchronous Reluctance Motor – This variable frequency motor provides the starting benefit of an induction motor, the operating benefit of a pure synchronous reluctance motor, and suitability benefit from the simple volts/hz drive. This motor provides higher efficiency and power density without risking components. A unique design gives the freedom to replace components individually instead of the entire system – leading to a lower cost of maintenance.
- ID300 Fusion™ – This high-performance integrated motor and drive meets the demand for pump systems that are smaller, more compact than their predecessors, easier to transport, simpler to install, and quicker to integrate into existing systems.
- Neptune® Variable Speed Fan or Pump Motor – Multi-horsepower, dual voltage premium efficient motor, with single phase power supply and no wiring changes required. Delivers high performance and energy savings in a quiet motor.
More information on U.S. MOTORS products can be found at https://acim.nidec.com/motors/usmotors/.
Nidec product lines on display at AHR also include Embraco, Control Techniques and KB Electronics. Product descriptions can be found at https://acim.nidec.com/motors/usmotors/News-And-Media/Events/AHR-2024.
About Nidec Corporation, Nidec Motor Corporation and U.S. MOTORS®
Nidec Corporation is the world’s No.1 comprehensive motor manufacturer. Based in Kyoto, Japan, Nidec Corporation offers motors ranging from micro-size to super large, as well as application products and services in IT, automation, home appliances, automobiles, commercial and industrial systems, environmental, energy, and many other businesses. Nidec is comprised of approximately 340 companies employing more than 110,000 people all over the world.
Nidec Appliance, Commercial and Industrial Motors (ACIM) is a business unit of Nidec that manufactures a full line of high efficiency motors used in applications ranging from air conditioning condensers, HVAC blower motors, rooftop cooling towers, commercial refrigeration, and appliances, to agriculture, water treatment, mining, oil and gas, and power generation, to pool and spa. The division also makes motors, controls, and switches for automotive and commercial markets. Some of the product brands include U.S. MOTORS®, RESCUE, Nidec, and Embraco.
The U.S. MOTORS brand encompasses a complete line of general and special purpose commercial and industrial motors from 1/30 horsepower through 4000 horsepower for a wide variety of applications. Since 1908, the U.S. MOTORS brand has stood for exceptional product reliability and performance. It is one of the oldest and most trusted brands in the motor industry and is recognized worldwide as the mark of leadership and technological innovation.